Software testing plays a predominant role in the Software Development Life Cycle. User Experience (UX), being the king of any product, requires a consistent and minuscule view in bringing precision to it. Any software developed is prone to hackers’ penetration and loopholes leading to vulnerability.
To make successful software that customers accept needs consistent testing, software adaptability, impeccable errors logs, elimination of risks and extra costs, and optimization in business. All these imperious necessities put the software testers in demand all the time.
Let’s read further to know more about the tech skills required, salary, roles, and responsibilities of a software tester.
Technical Skills required for Software Tester
Willingness to learn, communication, documentation, and network with other professionals are the fundamental skills that any software professionals need. Below are a few technical skills that a software tester, especially starters, should cultivate to outshine in the field.
DevOps and Agile Methodology:
Testers should learn the skills of Agile and DevOps methodologies. The Agile method of working provides speed to the test project. Whereas DevOps requires cross-functional teamwork right from development analysis to quality assurance which produces high quality in the product more quickly. Learning these methodologies helps them adapt to different working styles of the project.
With the increasing complexities and various integrations in applications, demand for automated tests has increased to attain accuracy and efficiency. Knowledge about automated testing and the software used is vital.
Knowledge of SDLC:
Testers should be aware of the various phases of the SDLC. It helps them to understand the application and anticipate the complexities and take measures ahead of time.
Software testers should be an expert in the below three components.
Test plan: The software tester should determine the main objective of the test, decide on what to test, and who should perform the test. Documentation at this phase allows all the stakeholders to see and understand the test plan.
Test Scenarios: Tester should place themselves in the user’s shoes to make the test scenarios. Test scenario determines the action the user endeavors in a website or application. Test scenario is formed to ensure that all the functionality of the software is working correctly.
Test cases: Writing test cases is an essential skill that a software tester should possess. The tester should be capable of writing both positive and negative test cases and getting the exact results.
Latest Technologies and Programming
Testers should be aware of the latest technologies in web and mobile. It helps them to understand the application and analyze the scalability and take appropriate actions in testing.
Basic knowledge of programming enhances the skills of the testers in understanding the functional part of the application and reduces the chance of bugs and application inefficiencies.
Rational and Logical Thinking
Testers should practice rational analysis and logical thinking that aids them in analyzing and identifying uncommon errors. This skill helps them to make different scenarios and inspect the elements accordingly. It further helps them think out of the box and raise sensible questions in understanding the strength and weaknesses of the application.
Interpersonal Skills and Good Communication
Testers should develop good communication skills that help them communicate with their peers to learn, solve and expand their knowledge in different phases of constructing the application.
Testers should develop good writing, speaking, listening, and reading skills. Communication helps them transfer the requirement clearly to the team, communicate the issues to the developer, convert the requirement doc to test cases, and prepare reports. Additionally, it helps them convey their perceptions to technical and non-technical persons.
Documentation is an important skill every tester must learn. It helps in identifying the proper requirement and act accordingly. A well-documented test helps to track the amendments in the requirement, check the test process, trace abnormalities, and also helps in composing reports and logging off work.
Software Tester Salaries in India
The salary of the software tester depends on various factors like
- Skillset – Having the correct skillset and the urge for learning and apply it appropriately improves the compensation.
- Knowledge in software testing – The knowledge the person has in testing, and the experience gathered beforehand will be reflected in the forthcoming job and thus hike the package.
- Companies -Working in top IT companies will boost the salary.
- Location – The cost of living in various parts of India affects the salary level. Opting to work in IT Tech cities will bring a salary elevation.
The average salary of a software tester ranges from 1.8L PA – 7.8L PA.
According to Glassdoor, the average salary of various software tester roles is as stated below.
|Job Role||Avg. Salary|
|Manual Testing Engineer||Rs. 4,78,391 PA|
|Test Analyst||Rs. 6,49,000 PA|
|Software Test Architect||Rs. 19,08,817 PA|
|QA Lead||Rs. 12,00,000 PA|
|Test Manager||Rs. 16,12,690 PA|
Roles and Responsibilities for Software Testing
Every company has its hierarchy of roles and responsibilities for the software testing team. The major roles and responsibilities are discussed here.
- Studies and clarifies the testing requirement to the quality assurance engineers.
- Determine what to test and prioritize the task.
- Define specific tests, design test cases, schedule test executions.
- Compare actual and expected results.
Quality Assurance Engineer
Check the product for bugs and report to the developers. Engineers with different qualifications are responsible for different types of manual and automated testing.
Manual testing engineer:
- Conduct software tests manually.
- Analyze and prepare a query list based on the requirement.
- Write and execute test cases based on usability and performance.
- Conducts test design and execution.
- Verification of website or app on multi-device, cross-platform, and consistency.
- Create reports and provide improvements.
- Participate in the test plan meeting and provide feedback.
Automated testing engineer
- Uses special software to test the system.
- Write scripts to perform the automation process.
- Perform automated regression tests after every update and release of a new version of the software.
- Run performance tests like load, spike, stress.
- Weights documentation on automation testing and select new automated testing tools.
Software Test Architect
- Helps to maintain well-designed architecture in complex cases.
- Optimize the testing process at a high level.
- Identify tools and technologies that align with business goals, company infrastructure, and tester skill set.
- Monitor testing efficiency and provide suggestions to improve testing practices.
- Play a key role in the teams.
- Considered to be responsible for the entire outcome by the management.
- Controls Analysts, Architects, QA engineers to deliver results as clients expect.
- Prepare test strategy for projects.
- Keep track of everyone’s performances.
- Calculate the testing budget and estimate the efforts.
- Supervise the working process.
- Handles the administrative path and communicates with all parties.
- Perform mostly non-technical responsibilities.
- Hire staff, engineers, analysts, architects, and other members.
- Supervise team members and processes and ensure team consistency.
- Accept requirements from product owners and clarify them to the team.
- Set quality metrics.
- Represent team on cross-functional meetings.
- Constantly improve the quality of testing and working environment.
Job Description for a Software Tester
Software tester job generally has the following qualities in the job description.
- Analyze the system specification
- Contribute to the test plan creation
- Prepare test scenarios
- Document test cases
- Collected test data
- Create test batches
- Perform test cases
- Report defects
- Track defects
- Perform regression testing
- Alter test cases and repeat the process
To wind up, the demand for software testers is increasing each day, as several companies are investing in the development of digital products. These products needed extensive testing before they release into the market. Software testing is a vast area with great scope, and hence choosing a career as a software tester is a wise choice.