Are you in search of the most probable mobile testing interview questions? Then this blog can be of great help to you. We have compiled a list of mobile testing interview questions that we commonly ask candidates and compiled after asking many candidates, searching various forms, and through surveys.
For people who wish to revamp or construct a new resume for a mobile app tester job, here are some tips
- Talk about what you can bring to the table in a summarised manner at first
- Put your most recent job on the top
- Please use a legible font
- Highlight your problem-solving skills
- Include the relevant keywords in your resume
- Do not list out all the details of your job. Your resume first has to go through HR and they might not even bother to read it. Be precise and read the description carefully and get an idea about what the company is expecting from its employee.
- Play with numbers as they garner good attention
- Express your skill in a way that has been crucial in solving a problem
Let’s move on to mobile testing interview questions
- How do you test CPU usage on a mobile?
There are designated tools that will display all the basic and advanced CPU utilization data of an app. The immediate question proceeding would be about the tool that you use for the purpose. Learn about the tool very well.
- How would you test a particular device, software, apparatus, or anything of the interviewer’s choice?
The main intention behind this question is to assess your testing knowledge as well as the ideas you have in various aspects of software testing.
- Do you have any questions?
Apart from asking about the company, ask about the methodology that’s in practice in testing apps. For instance, agile or DevOps. Ask about the tools and automation architecture in use.
- What should be there in a bug report?
- Defects should be properly tagged and ID’ed
- Include proper evidence
- Describe the step to recreate issues
- A crisp and creative summary of the report
- The expected and actual result of functionalities
- Make sure that the report is search friendly
- Explain the effect of the defect on the customer
- Do not mention features as bugs
- How do you test a GPRS-based app?
- Test the usability of the application
- Geographical blocking
- Functional aspects
- App behavior with respect to signal strength, internet, etc.
- Data management
- Crowd testing
- How did you resolve a conflict with a co-worker?
Testers are often considered the bearers of bad news. Instead, you can explain the bug and make them a part of the fix. Talk about a situation where you were able to be on the same page with the developer and how you resolved the issue amicably.
- What are test case runners?
It’s a command line-based tool that’s used to run tests. The tool can pick an assembly line that contains source code or its directory, and different settings that are required to execute unit tests. The executed tests will also be logged in to adequate files. Examples of such tools are Nunit and MSTest for C#, or Junit for Java.
- Which Android version should be considered for testing?
Android and iOS release an update every year. Since people change their devices on an average of 2 years, it’s better to test apps from the latest versions to five years old.
- What’s the most interesting bug you have come across?
Most of the time candidates forget about bugs that they have encountered because of the tense situation. The main intention behind these questions is to evaluate your presence of mind and to know how you manage the fix for the particular issue. However, it’s true that many might not consider all the bugs that they have encountered as even interesting. If that’s the case, think about a bug that your colleague might have found or a user would have come across.
- What are the different types of SQL joins?
Join is a clause that’s specifically used to combine multiple tables that are based on a related one between them.
(INNER) JOIN: Returns record that has matching values in both tables
LEFT (OUTER) JOIN: As the name suggests, it is used to return left matching tables and similar ones from the right table as well.
RIGHT (OUTER) JOIN: This type of SQL join is specifically used to return items from the right matching table and a similar one from the left table as well.
FULL (OUTER) JOIN: Returns all
- Difference between a simulator and an emulator?
|Device that can mimic observable behavior to match an existing target
|Models the underlying stage of the target
|Used as a substitute
|Used for analysis
|Easy to do debugging
|Hard to do debugging
|Can be used to find out how the app behaves in the external environment
|Best option when it comes to integration testing
|Acts as a middle ground between simulators and real devices
|Only mimics environment features
|Written in machine-level assembly language
|Written in a high-level language
- What is a Defect Life Cycle?
In its lifetime, bugs travel through certain stages. These stages are together called a defect life cycle.
- Important criteria that should be taken into consideration while performing sanity testing
- Installation and uninstallation
- Check app behavior with various network types
- Performed mostly at times when few features are added to a software
- Retesting -> Sanity testing -> Regression testing when there is a change in the software
- Interruptions that happens while using an app
- Performance testing
- Negative testing
- Challenges faced in mobile app testing?
- Too many devices and Operating systems
- Device fragmentation as it is very likely that the app will come access compatibility issues
- Volatile user requirements create unpredictable scenarios
- Network speed
- Choosing the right testing tool based on requirement
- What are the primary criteria that needs to be considered while performing end-to-end mobile app testing
- Check whether the app has been successfully installed across various devices and OS
- Do you think the app launch is smooth
- App behavior when it is subjected to various adverse situations
- How well is app navigation designed
- Have you ever attended a bug triage meeting? If you have, what happens in it?
Bug triaging is a process to determine the severity and priority of a bug. It can be coordinated by the test lead, IT manager, project lead, or anyone who is handling the project. Apart from categorization triage meeting helps in tracking issues much more effectively. Triage meeting happens very often depending on the size of the project. QA lead sends out reports regarding the current bug scenario of the project and ensures that the severity and priority of the bug have been clearly depicted in the report. Meeting ensures they are fixed in a timely manner.
- What are the major challenges you face while testing the mobile app on the cloud?
- Limitations owing to testing in a simulated environment
- Time to understand the cloud environment
- Lack of proper documentation
- Real-time GPS location tracking
- Performance issues
- Limited control
- How to do A/B testing of mobile apps?
A/B testing in the mobile app is entirely different from that of a web app. Since all the updates you make on the app have to be approved by either Google or Apple it’s very hard to carry out the testing.
Here are some useful tips
- Use a tool with a visual interface editor
- Use a content management system
- Create a client-server architecture
- Manually tag the elements you wish to test
- Save each event by the user in a sever
- What’s the striking difference between a web app, native app, and hybrid app?
Web app: They are completely browser-independent websites. They can be slower at times and cannot be accessed through app stores. The biggest advantage of web apps is they are cheaper to develop when compared to mobile apps. Another one is they are consistent across all platforms.
Native apps: Developed on the various platforms of choice. Native apps offer high UX and have expressive UI. However, they are expensive to build
Hybrid apps: Built to exist on different platforms. Even though they are slow they tend to work faster based on the elements in the interface.
- The striking differences between device and application testing?
|Hardware-based and software testing
|Features like call, SMS media player, etc.
|The focus is on functionality and features
|Done in manufacturing centers
|Can be done in a separate environment
Be confident and be yourself. Being under stress would not yield you anything. When it comes to mobile application testing interviews, the interviewer is looking for someone who can carry out their project by firmly holding on to their company values along with skills. So please make sure that you are projecting these aspects well.
Most importantly when they ask about the reason for the change, do not bad mouth your existing or previous company.
Hope you liked our mobile testing interview questions and answers.