Back when delivery applications were still not a reality, people visited restaurants to buy food. But delivery applications changed everything. Life has so many conveniences because of them.
Now with smartphones, food is delivered by performing a few taps. Delivery applications like Swiggy and Zomato save time and money as they offer various discounts and offers. Food delivery applications help one to order food when one is hungry or there are no available food options.
Post-Covid we have noticed that there is a magnificent rise in online orders hence testing of these food delivery applications is now very important. If you are not clear about how to test a food delivery app, read on.
Let’s first look at the types of testing for food delivery/ restaurant applications.
Functional Testing of Food Delivery Applications
Functional testing of food delivery applications is very important to make sure that the applications fulfil the acceptance criteria by the product owners.
Functional testing includes various use cases such as:
- installing and updating of food delivery application,
- all fields and functionalities should work as per requirements,
- the behaviour of the application when there is a new message or phone call
- behaviour of the application when there is a lack of internet
- verification of error messages when something is wrong with food delivery application
- verification that the application should not consume too much memory and space, etc.
Also, other functional use cases include validation of different payment methods, validation of integration with third-party applications for sign-in and payment such as Google. Quick ordering functionality such as repetition of past orders, push notifications, validation of delivery executive location, validation of application behaviour when the network connection is switched between 2G,3G, and 4G, and validation of different voice control prompt.
Get high-performance software testers for your food delivery application. Connect with Testscenario!
Performance Testing of Food Delivery App
Performance testing is a very crucial part of testing food delivery applications. We need to evaluate the behaviour and stability of food delivery applications when high stress, load, concurrency, volume is applied.
Different performance testing use cases are
- validation of application behaviour under high load
- validation of application behaviour under peak usage
- validation under high constant load and identification of various bottlenecks in the application
Some other use cases are optimization of various APIs, validation of response time of APIs, hardware, and resources utilization under high load. These validations need to be performed so that the food delivery app can become robust enough to handle any amount of load.
Usability Testing of Food Delivery Applications
It is done to make sure that customers are satisfied with the application experience. The design of the food delivery app should be very easy and user-friendly because the major chunk of the population which uses Zomato or Swiggy isn’t highly educated. Simple and effective design is the key to reach to a high number of customers.
Some usability use cases for food delivery applications are
- making sure that functionalities are easy to find
- navigation should be easy and user-friendly
- buttons of the application should be visible
- verification that font should be of appropriate size so that anyone can read them
- verification that the user can undo the last operation and finally
- the design of the application should be appealing, simple, and user-friendly
Some other use cases are validation that the registration process for food delivery apps should be very simple so that anyone can register and start using it. Addition of address should be very simple, menu navigation should be intuitive and hassle-free, validation that right images should be displayed against food items, images should be clear with proper colors.
Validation that offers and promotions should be easy to find, Bill should be understandable, delivery time and location should be easy to find, making sure that rating process is user-friendly and finally, the checkout process should be damn simple.
Compatibility Testing of Food Delivery Applications
This type of testing verifies that the food delivery application works well in different environments like OS: iOS and Android. Food delivery applications should work fine on all mobile devices with different operating systems and with different sizes. We also verify that it works well with high configuration and low configuration phones.
This is very important testing as a little bug here and there can cost lakhs to business. Hence, Compatibility Testing should be done by a larger set of people who have access to many devices to ensure that the application is compatible with all of them. A testbed of devices and configurations needs to be maintained for proper compatibility testing.
Security Testing for Food Delivery Applications
Security Testing is very important so that the personal data of customers should not be at stake. It is done to ensure that customer data is protected against all kinds of threats and attacks. Leakage of data can cost hefty fees to the business.
Some of the use cases of security testing are validation of application behaviour under cyber-attacks, validation that application should now to access the application without proper authentication, and validation of session timeout in times of inactivity.
Food delivery applications have integration of customer credit cards and other card data so security testing becomes very important otherwise customer data can be leaked.
Test Cases for Food Delivery App
Let’s now look at various test cases for online food ordering in detail. Let’s dive into them one by one. We will investigate the 6 main components of any food delivery app. The below can be used as test cases for Zomato or Swiggy.
- Search Functionality
- Validation that the restaurant name is searchable in the search text box.
- Validation that the cuisine name is searchable in the search text box.
- Validation that the dish name is searchable in the search text box.
- Validation that matching suggestions should be shown when search items do not match any of the relevant records.
- Validation that the appropriate search results should be shown when an item is searched.
- Home Page
- Validation that billing discounts should be displayed on the home page.
- Validation that past orders should be shown on the home page for quick delivery.
- Validation that restaurants should be shown on the home page as per distance from the delivery location.
- Validation that the right delivery location should be shown.
- Validation that the filter and sort options should be provided on the home page. Filters options such as Cuisines and rating should be shown. Sorting of restaurants should be done as per sort criteria such as rating, delivery time, cost.
- Validation that history and donate options should be shown on the home page.
- Ordering Page
- Verify restaurant name and rating along with photos should be displayed clearly.
- Verify cuisines served by restaurants should be shown under restaurant names such as north Indian, Chinese, and others.
- Verify reviews should be clearly shown so that people can order based on those.
- Verify reviews can be filtered based on various filters such as detailed reviews, latest, delivery reviews, and my reviews.
- Mode of delivery, approximate time of delivery, and offers should be shown clearly.
- Verification that the veg and non-veg toggle options should be present.
- Verify add option should add the item to the cart.
- Verify all items should be listed clearly along with their prices.
- Verify the best offer of the restaurant should be shown in the lower section of the page.
- Verify users can customize the order for the customizable items.
- Verify green and red dots are marked against items as per veg and non-veg.
- Verify rating of food items should be displayed clearly.
- Verify recommended section should be displayed.
- Verify menu hamburger option should be shown and upon clicking, should open the menu based on umbrella categories for easy ordering.
- Verify images should be correctly shown against the item.
- Cart Page
- Verification that delivery location should be shown on the cart page.
- Verify right items are displayed on the cart page.
- Verify that option is available to increment or decrement the number of items.
- Verify the option to delete the item is available.
- Verify offers section should be displayed.
- Verify offer should be applied successfully when the user applies one offer.
- Verify option to tip your valet should be available.
- Verify the invoice should be generated correctly.
- Verify there is an option to ad voice directions.
- Verify delivery location can be changed.
- Verify when the delivery location is changed and if the delivery location is not serviceable then an error message should be shown.
- Verify your details should be shown.
- Verify there should be an option to order for someone else.
- Verify pay using option should be shown.
- Verify upon clicking of pay now, different payments options should open.
- Verify different payment options should work correctly.
- Verify cart page can be minimized.
- Verify cart should retain the products even if the app is closed.
- Verify upon adding another item from the different restaurant the earlier item should be removed automatically.
- Account Section
- Verify different account options should be shown for the user,
- Verify past orders, favorite orders, and address book can be accessed from the account section.
- Verify help option should be shown In case any help is required.
- Verify about, send feedback, log out options should be displayed correctly.
- Registration and Login
- Verify users can log in to a Zomato account using a mobile number.
- Verify users can log in via different options such as email and password, Facebook, or Google sign-in.
- Verify users can create an account username and email.
- Verify users can choose delivery locations upon successful registration.
- Verify authentication is performed correctly when OTP is sent to the customer.
Now, you must be aware of testing plans for a food delivery application such as Swiggy or Zomato. Testing for an online food delivery system is easy but should be performed carefully. Contact us to know more if you still have doubts about delivery app testing. Get free estimation from us and make your product more robust with minimum bugs.
Is Quality Assurance a worry for your food delivery app? Don’t worry, connect with testscenario and get the services of the best testers in business!